Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Health check - Tandoori chicken

I'm leaving for Europe in 79 days. To prepare for my overindulence in various European foods, I decided it's time to learn some healthy meals for my pre-travel detox.

My wonderful friend Kristina has been doing some clean eating and sent me one of her healthy recipes. I cannot explain how EASY and DELICIOUS this recipe was. I probably use the words 'easy' and 'delicious' way too much. But seriously, it was. I was actually impressed with myself with how good it tasted and surprised how healthy it was!

So here it goes...(this serves about 2 people)



1 medium onion

200g chicken breast (cut into small pieces)
1 tablespoon tandoori paste
200g cans canned tomatoes (I used crushed tomatos - whatever you want really) 
1/4 cup liquid vegetable stock
80g canned lentils, drained
1/4 cup light cream



1) Chop up the onion and the chicken.
I hate chopping up onion. I wore my sunglasses the whole time...doesn't really work that well....for a few tips to stop the onion cry and a bit of info about this pesky veggie, I look to Dr Karl - he's the man.








2) Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium-low heat. Add the onion and cook until soft - stirring often (about 5 mins). Increase the heat to medium-high and add the chicken (cook for for 3-4 mins).






3) Add the curry paste. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant. Next, add the tomatoes, stock and lentils and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes or until the lentils are soft and the sauce thickens. 

If after about 25 minutes the sauce isnt the thickness you want, add a teaspoon of cornflour - works a treat. However, once the sauce has sat off the heat, it does continue to thicken. 





4) After 30 minutes, stir in the cream and cook for 1 minute or until heated through.






5) Let it cool and enjoy with rice, papadums, whatever you want really! I had a bit by itself with a teaspoon of Natural Greek Yoghurt - Delish.

I've had this for lunch 3 days in a row.....


1 comment:

  1. I am now starving. I want to make this tonight!
    Ta Tee :)

    ReplyDelete