Friday, February 15, 2013

My first fail whale


Ahhh its times like these I never wish I had a blog about learning to cook. I guess that maybe starting this blog has made me think that I would be an amazing cook straight away. How wrong is was.

Anyways, I saw this lovely Coffee Banana Cake in the December issue of Frankie Magazine. I wanted to cook it for agggesss and thought a work afternoon tea would be the perfect time.



So I began.

125g soft butter
1 cup caster sugar
1/2 cup soft brown sugar
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract (substituted with vanilla flavouring)
1 cup very strong coffee, cooled (2 tbsp of instant coffee in 1 cup boiling water)
2 eggs
3 large bananas, mashed
1/2 cup plain greek yoghurt
1 1/2 cups plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp of baking soda
3/4 cup of walnuts (if you want)



Cream butter and sugars together until light and fluffy.

Beat in the vanilla and two tbsp of the cooled coffee.

Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each.

Beat in the mashed banana a little bit at a time.

Stir in the yoghurt.









Sift in the baking powder, baking soda and flour then stir into the mixture (with walnuts if you want)







Pour into tin and bake for 50-60 minutes at 180 degrees. 



Let it cool and then ice the cake with delicious coffee/cream cheese icing (which consists of 3 cups icing sugar, 100g soft butter, 200g room temperature cream cheese, 3/4 tbsp of cooled coffee all beaten up)

End result: to be honest, not great. The cake didn't rise much and it was pretty mushy (i'm guessing too much banana?)

However, my dad pretty much demolished the cake. I had a piece and it was actually pretty yummy apart from the crappy look and total mushy-ness. It was super sweet too so maybe hold the vanilla or a bit of sugar?

Anyways, the first fail was bound to happen so here it is! If anyone else has a go let me know how it all turns out!



Here's to less failure and more success. 



HAPPY BAKING!

No comments:

Post a Comment